Blog, Life

A Day in the Life of Amanda

By: Amanda Magnus

This week we are giving you a peak into our daily lives. My days aren’t super exciting but it was fun documenting it along the way and remembering little things about my day that I normally probably wouldn’t have thought twice about.

I chose to use Tuesday as my day to document. My days usually begin with my alarm going off at 4:45am and this day was no different. I never would have thought this is when my days would start because I hate having to get up in the morning as I’m sure most do! But I get up so I can teach my VIPKid classes. If you haven’t seen me talk about this previously I teach English to kids in China through this company. It’s been a lot of fun but also exhausting at times! Don’t judge my sleepy looking selfie.

After I’m done teaching class from 5am-7am I head upstairs to get Ella ready to go to school. Once I have her bag packed up and get her dressed we are on our way. Her school is less than 10 minutes away so that is nice. On the way here is a little snippet of our drive to school conversation:

Ella: Actually mom my hood does fall off. (She had a hood on her sweatshirt and insisted she didn’t need to wear a hat because she had a hood)

Me: Well, that’s why I said you will probably need to wear a hat when you go out for recess.

Ella: No, it just falls off when you drive fast.

Me: Oh, okay…

Once Ella is at school I head back home. I was able to make myself a cup of coffee and get my overnight oats eaten before Porter woke up for the day. My go-to breakfast is overnight oats made with coconut milk and topped with a few mini chocolate chips.

Overnight Oats

Porter woke up around 8:15am and I love getting to be there every morning when he gets up. He usually sits in his room and yells, “momma!” over and over until I come get him. Porter likes to have a waffle right away when he gets up so I get him that and then go to make his oatmeal. If you want to know how to make oatmeal a finger food here’s how: We use the individual packets of instant oatmeal (I haven’t gotten the consistency to work out using the stuff in bigger containers) and add a little less water than it calls for. Heat for 1 minute and stir. If it’s still pretty runny I’ll heat for an additional 30 seconds. Once it’s done I spread it on a plate and throw in the fridge to cool. Once cooled I cut it into squares and throw on Porter’s high chair tray and he’s good to go! Brian is the one who figured out that hack.

Strawberry instant oatmeal cut into squares for easy eating.

Porter and I got to hangout then until it was time to get dressed and pick Ella up from school. He loves Mickey Mouse so he was excited to wear his new Mickey shirt. It was about 10:45 when I loaded him up to go pick Ella up.

Picking Ella up from school is also a highlight of my day because she come running out of her classroom and give me a big hug. Once she’s bundled up again we head back home to get some lunch.

The kids ate lunch around 11:45 and then played for a bit before it was time for naps and quiet time. Ella does quiet time now since she often doesn’t nap. Although on occasion she will fall asleep. And I did a bit of multi-tasking while they were having lunch and playing. I got started on some shirts I need to get done this week.

Once the kids were settled in their rooms I made myself some lunch and caught up on The Good Doctor while also working on the shirts. During this time Ella comes out of her room multiple times asking for various things so I also have to be catching her every time she tries to sneak out of her room.

Once the kids are up it’s time for me to help Ella change her outfit for the 5th time that day. This is a regular occurrence because of course you can’t just wear one outfit all day! While the kids are playing I started cleaning up the kitchen and prepping food for dinner.

Brian got home around 4:30pm from work and took over playing with the kids so I could finish dinner prep and head to the gym. I usually try to get to the gym (Planet Fitness) twice a week with my sister-in-law Angela but some weeks that doesn’t always work out. I do feel better when I’m able to get a bit of a work out in though.

Planet Fitness selfie!

I got home from the gym at about 6:30pm. Brian had fed the kids and gotten dinner started so I just finished up a few things. We did roasted veggies over mashed potatoes with a green goddess dressing from Wholesome LLC. Sadly I did not have all of the ingredients I thought I had to make this dressing so I can only imagine how delicious it is when made correctly considering it was still pretty tasty with all of my substitutions!

Green Goddess Dressing before getting blended up.
Roased veggies!
Yummy dinner!

After dinner it was time to get the kids to bed! They both go down pretty easily which is nice.

Ella all snuggled in and wondering why Brian took her picture. 🙂
I forgot to get a picture of Porter in bed before I left.

Then Brian and I went downstairs so I could finish up the shirts I had started. Once 8:30 rolled around it was time for me to head to bed so I could get up to teach again at 5am. Felix will patiently wait for me every night while I’m getting ready for bed and then he lays on top of me once I get into bed. He definitely likes his routine!

Felix waiting for me to go to bed.

That is a complete day in the life of Amanda! 🙂

2 thoughts on “A Day in the Life of Amanda”

  1. It’s fun to see a whole day documented like that. I have kept a journal since I was I was pretty young (although when the kids were little there a huge gaps where I just didn’t have time to write in it… very sad looking back!). It’s fun to go back and read about all the things you did (and jog the memory on many things you had forgotten all about)!

    1. That’s a great idea to keep a journal! There are so many little things you would forget about and it’d be fun to be able to look back on. I think about all the funny conversations I have with Ella. It would be cool to write those down and remember them!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *