By: Kristen Darkow
Writing my post about the Apple Watch last week inspired me to also share my workout routine. Since the Apple Watch does such a great job of tracking workouts, it seemed fitting to share what I’ve been doing to stay active! This varies from month-to-month, because I sometimes get bored of what I’m doing, and if I’m bored of it, I won’t do it. I’m always needing to update my workout routine to something that I can look forward to (or at least tolerate and not dread). So today, I’ll share the evolution of my workout routine over the years and just how I stay active in general.
In high school, I mostly just stayed active by playing on the tennis team…doing workouts outside of that didn’t really cross my mind? Ha. And then I went to college and still played on the tennis team there, but I was also completely on my own as far as meals. Annnnd, as is common among new college kids, I realized I wasn’t as healthy as I want to be. Commence my first ever workout routine! I bought the P90X DVDs at the end of my freshman year of college, and my dad and I did a workout every single day that summer! They were super challenging, but doable…and we each lost quite a bit of inches and gained a lot of muscle!
Ever since then, I’ve been all about at-home workouts that mix cardio and weights. I just know that, personally, I’m a lot more likely to do my workout if I can do it from the comfort of my home than if it requires me to drive to a gym, change in a locker room, and use a treadmill. It was also in college that I became allergic to exercise. Yes, I really am allergic to exercise. Sometimes, not every time, I break out in really itchy, terrible hives when I work out. So, if that happens, I’m a lot more comfortable being covered in hives at home than I would be at a gym. 😉
During our dating years, Andrew and I started doing workouts together in the evenings when I would come over to his house. We’d mostly do P90X or 21 Day Fix. It was nice to have someone else doing it so we could hold each other accountable!
Since being married, though, we’ve switched this up a bit. I much prefer to get my workout done right when I get home from work – otherwise, I get comfy and don’t want to get off the couch again. I also get super hungry after work, so waiting until Andrew gets home to start our workout before eating dinner was a challenge. 🙂
So now, I work out around 4:30 PM before Andrew gets home. I also decided to switch up the types of workouts I do. After awhile of doing P90X and 21 Day Fix, you begin to memorize exactly which moves are coming and how much longer until you’re done, and it became easier for me to make excuses and not want to do it. These days, I follow some fitness accounts on Instagram and YouTube. They post videos of different workouts, and I either follow along with the video, or jot down the moves and do things at my own pace. Some of my favorite Fitness accounts are:
- Blogilates – A super positive, upbeat and relatable instructor who produces short but challenging workout videos focusing on any and every problem area!
- Rebecca Louise – This is another go-to YouTube account for me – sometimes it’s as simple as picking a 10-minute abs video, other times it’s compiling a few of the videos for a full workout! She is so inspiring!
- Carly-Ann Dell – I follow her on Instagram and she posts some great workouts! I’d say her workouts are a majority of what I do these days. Who wouldn’t want to look like her?!
- Mari Fitness – This is another account I follow on Instagram and she’s super inspiring because she wasn’t always so fit – it’s great to see somebody who overcame challenges and now helps others do the same! Her workouts are super challenging, but doable in a short amount of time!
- Alexia Clark – Another Instagram account that I follow. She also has a fitness program that you can pay for and get more one-on-one coaching, but so far I’ve just watched her shorter workouts on Instagram and attempted them myself. 🙂
So these days I usually take Storm for a mile walk, and then do one of these workouts afterward. I tried to document some recent ones where I focus on legs, so see below for some specific workouts I’ve been doing!
Andrew has a Brett Favre poster on the door, so I had to get a selfie with him!
Just documenting how my shirt is usually a different color by the end of the workout. 🙂
Okay, that’s all I’ve got for you today! What are your favorite types of workouts? I’d love some new ideas! Share with us in the comments below.